Subscriber Services


Please visit our new blog by clicking here.

Friday, August 21, 2009

The Coco Loco: Best Caribbean Cocktail?

As a travel editor, I'm lucky to spend more than my share of time in the Caribbean each year, exploring the best of what's new in each destination and reporting back on the hotels and restaurants that are getting it right.

But a highly underrated part of my job involves sampling the local island cocktails. When it comes to sipping tropical concoctions, from painkillers and bushwackers to rum punch and ti punch, I take my work seriously.

One of my favorites, though, is also one of the simplest recipes I've tried. I blogged back in April about an afternoon spent boating with friends down the Rio Yesica near Cabarete, Dominican Republic, followed by lunch at the tiny, riverfront watering hole, La Boca Grill...But what I failed to highlight was that there I had stumbled on one of the yummiest - and most potent - fruity drinks I'd ever tasted: the Coco Loco. And by tasted, I mean I had four. Picture this: fresh coconut milk, a generous pour of Bacardi 151 (um, yeah...that's 75.5% alcohol by volume) and just a splash of grenadine and crème de banana, all served up in a cracked coconut the size of your head. Has anyone else tried this thing? It's out of control.

But then again, there are a lot of scrumptious Caribbean cocktails out there...maybe you've found one that tops the Coco Loco. What's your favorite, and the best place to get it?


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. I love the Coco Loco too. My other favorite Caribbean cocktail is the Guana Grabber at Guana Cay in the Bahamas, have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope haven't tried it...what's in it?
    reagan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails