Subscriber Services


Please visit our new blog by clicking here.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gotta Have It

When I’m on assignment, it’s my enviable task to check out chic restaurants, beachfront resorts and luxurious spas. (I know, it’s a tough life). But on a personal level, there’s nothing I enjoy more than shopping, and as our staff shutterbug (and my frequent sidekick) Zach can attest, no matter where my work travels take me, I always find time to ferret out a funky boutique or craft store where I can snag a unique memento of the trip.

Mexico
, it turns out, is a treasure trove of souvenirs. Most recently, I brought home this enchanting handcarved blue-eyed angel, courtesy of tiny beachfront Tulum craft store called Mixik. I’d seen larger versions used as decorative accents in hotels on previous trips, so I was excited to bag one of my own, which now watches over me from its perch on the wall opposite my bed.

On my first trip to Playa, I fell in love with Fifth Avenue and came away with this piece of folk art made from a lottery card, which brightened up my dreary cube quite nicely.

And if I’d had somewhere to put it, I definitely would have bagged one of these charming Jellyfish lamps, made from gourds, colored marbles and shells. You’ll find lower priced copycats all along the Riviera Maya but trust me, it’s worth spending a few extra bucks to get the real deal (look for the Jellyfish tag) from the company’s two Playa stores.

Perhaps my funkiest purchase was this pair of sassy scarlet cowboy boots, courtesy of Rogers Boots in the departure lounge at Cancun airport. The moment I spotted them across the crowded terminal it was love at first sight. They were a total impulse purchase and they weren’t cheap, but they fit like a glove and every time I wear them I remember Mexico ­– and feel like a million bucks.

So if you’re going to Mexico any time soon, PLEASE back away from those obnoxiously oversized sombreros, and instead keep your eyes peeled for something unique and authentic that you won’t be embarrassed to wear or display once you get home. In Mexico ­– and all over the Caribbean – there’s a bounty of handcrafted souvenirs that truly merit space in your carry-on. What's your favorite Caribbean souvenir?


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails