Subscriber Services


Please visit our new blog by clicking here.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Beaches Turks and Caicos

I just returned from a quick trip to Turks and Caicos, where I had the chance to check out the new Italian Village wing at the all-inclusive Beaches Resort. Going into it, I knew the Grace Bay location would be tough to beat – but I had no idea how much I would end up liking the resort itself. Here, four surprising reasons to check out the property...

1. Diving – The resort's full-service PADI dive center has a staff of 23 instructors, a fleet of five Newton dive boats and a wide range of diving and certification options for beginners to experienced divers. Best of all? It's completely free for guests who are already certified ($150 per two-tank dive for non-guests). Haven't tried diving before? You can sign-up for the Discover Scuba resort course, including a hands-on pool class and one-tank dive, for $70 per person – then decide if you want to upgrade to the full scuba certification for $250, or open water certification for $400 (either way, they'll refund your original $70). You'll have famed TCI dive sites like Aquarium, Cathedral and Pinnacles at your disposal, plus a range of great sites along the Northwest Point and the Caicos Banks.

2. Butler Service – I'll admit it, I didn't expect much when I was told I'd have a personal butler during my stay. I thought this would only come in handy for the occasional poolside cocktail order, but oh! – was I wrong. These were not mere butlers but mind readers. By day two, mine already knew exactly how I take my coffee, how I like my eggs, what time I might feel like a snack (any time?), and that I have a hard time deciding on dessert (he just brought me one of each – thoughtful!). At check in, my butler even gave me a special bat phone to reach him at any hour, and with the touch of a button I really could – whether it was just for another daiquiri, or to make a reservation at the Red Lane Spa or one of the specialty restaurants on the property. Butler service is included with top suite categories so just ask your reservation agent about the option when you book.

3. Dining – Speaking of restaurants, surprise number three: The food was really good. I'm not knocking all-inclusive resort chains, but they aren't usually top-of-mind when I think about great Caribbean dining. But I've got to say, from breakfast on the terrace to the lunch buffet at Mario's to any one of the other 15 options (including Japanese, Italian, French and seafood specialty venues) – every single meal I had was great. Same for the cocktails, though who am I kidding? It's tough to go wrong with a rum punch anywhere in the Caribbean.

4. Kid Stuff – I don't have kids myself, but man...next time I'll borrow a couple for the trip. Besides the fact that I personally hung out at the pool with the characters from Sesame Street twice during my stay, I also had access to the huge Pirate's Island water park, a giant Games Garage filled with every Xbox game known to man, five pools and a gaggle of other kid-distractions everywhere I looked. But with tons of supervised Kids Club programs for all age groups, there's also an escape for mom and dad, too.

Our editor in chief and his two tots put the resort's kiddie attractions to the test this summer, so stay tuned to the April issue for even more on that.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails