Subscriber Services


Please visit our new blog by clicking here.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Doing The Laid-Off Take-Off


Like all the other CT+L editors, I get a daily deluge of press releases in my e-box touting industry news, vacation deals, travel gadgets and resort openings. One that caught my eye earlier this month was from the ad agency J Walter Thompson, which has just released the results of their Travel Trends For 2010 report.

One standout was a trend that’s being called “funemployment.” Apparently growing numbers of people who’ve been laid off are using the unexpected time off to travel, often to far-flung places that they’ve always dreamed of seeing but which they'd never had enough free time to visit. Which made me wonder where in the Caribbean I'd go if, God forbid, my CT+L days came to a screeching halt.

Hmmm ... I’d love to spend some extended down time in Provo in the Turks and Caicos  Islands but I fear that lofty prices in the boutique destination would decimate my savings in no time. Maybe in the Dom Rep  or Jamaica ? I could hole up at an all-inclusive resort and practice deep denial over frosty Dirty Bananas at the pool bar. Or perhaps I'd head for the Grenadines  (check out our Beach Lover's Guide in the March 2010 ish) or the BVI , where I'd downshift to island time and spend a few weeks hopping from one barefoot casual outpost to another. But there are also plenty of voluntourism opportunities around the region, such as helping to preserve the forest at Trinidad 's Asa Wright Nature Centre, so maybe my time would be best spent doing something for the environment or for those less fortunate.

What about you? If you suddenly found yourself jobless, where in the Caribbean would you go to put the "fun" in funemployment and why?




Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Ok.. soo the husband got the boot from his job in January and I hadn't worked in 3 years.. Not sure of our summer plans while the kids were off from school, we went decided at almost the last minute to bit the bullet and go for it. (you know.. you can't take it with you, so spend it will you have it.. right?!?!?). We booked a NCL Cruise (a suite no less)for the 5 of us from England to the Baltic Region of the world and had a spent a wonderful 12 days seeing countries and places we will likely never see again. While this wasn't the Caribbean, it was a once in a lifetime trip.
    Having said that, we live in Barbados.. so we live some people's "trip of a lifetime".. but if I ever have this opportunity again (both of us have now gone back to work.), and want to do this in the Caribbean, I'd have to choose the island of Bequia to spend my weeks or months of funemployement. It's a great little island, several light years behind Barbados but with great beaches and a most relaxing atmosphere. I'd get my little place at Kingsville Apartments and be able to walk the 2 steps to the beach every morning and evening and take a swim and just relax.. kids and all. I'd call that my funemployement.. anyone else.???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails