Subscriber Services


Please visit our new blog by clicking here.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hitting The Road


While I haven’t yet realized my dream of visiting the Bahamian Out Islands (yes, I’m looking at you, Reagan), I am busy finalizing plans for another equally exciting trip: an eight-day jaunt to Jamaica, kicking off this weekend.

As relocated “yardie,” I’m always happy to have the opportunity to go back and visit my former homeland and to catch up on the latest on the tourism scene – and if I can find time for some jerk chicken, a Tastee beef patty and fried fish at Hellshire, even better!

This time I’ll be scoping out the scene in the sunset capital of Negril, staying right on the sands of the world-famous beach at the laidback low-rise hotel, Idle Awhile. I haven’t nailed down my agenda, but I know there’s a trip to Rick’s Café in my future. I'm not brave (or crazy) enough to throw myself from the cliffs into the sea below, but watching the death-defying dives of the strapping young men who are is entertainment enough.

Then I’ll be hopping in the rental and driving along the north coast highway east to serene Port Antonio. It’s a long drive (four hours plus) but I’ll be making stops in my old stomping ground of Montego Bay for a plate of ackee and saltfish and a double chocolate malt at The Pelican diner (yum!), and in Ocho Rios to scale Dunn’s River Falls for the umpteenth time. It’s one of those tourist activities that you just have to do when you visit the island, and since my other half will be in tow and seeing the north coast for the first time, it’s a no-brainer.

In Porty, we’ll be checking into eco-resort Great Huts. I was intrigued by contributor Chris Cox’s description of the Boston Beach hideaway in April’s Port Antonio feature and look forward to seeing it for myself. I only recently discovered the sophisticated pleasures of Frenchman’s Cove (while reporting the Beach Lover’s Guide To Jamaica) but its now my favorite Jamaican strand, and I can’t wait to dip my toes in the ice-cold river that runs along the property down to the sea.

After Port Antonio, I’ll be heading east again to Ochi’s Couples Tower Isle. The decades-old hotel (formerly Couples Ocho Rios) is famous for being Jamaica’s first all-inclusive resort, and I’m very excited to see the upgrades that have resulted from the year-long multimillion-dollar renovations.

After three nights there, it’ll be back to Mo’Bay, where we’ll board the Air Jamaica flight home. I’m going to miss the free bubbly (the airline put a cork in its complimentary onboard champagne service as of May 1) but for warm Jamaican “lovebird hospitality,” it’s the only way to fly.

What are your favorite places to see and things to do in Jamaica?


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could travel with you, my friend, to Jamaica. I've always wanted to see it through a native's eyes. one day...safe travels
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails