Subscriber Services


Please visit our new blog by clicking here.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stuffed at the Renaissance Curaçao

I just arrived in Curaçao this afternoon, and like any responsible foodie, I decided to spend the rest of the day eating. About two hours after inhaling an overproportioned lunch of fresh seafood salad and rice, I rightly decided it was time for some authentic Curaçaoan appetizers, so I headed downstairs to the Renaissance Curaçao's Blue Bar and I noshed on bitterballen - the national dish of spiced, battered meatballs soaked in mustard - then washed them down with the resort's signature (and as yet unnamed) cocktail of light rum, amaretto, fruit juice, green curaçao and champagne. Yum!

Feeling sufficiently stuffed by the time I cashed out, the only obvious thing to do next was head to dinner, so I joined some friends at the Renaissance Curaçao's private Eternity Beach for a private, candlelit dinner at sunset. Yes, totally romantic, if there weren't 9 of us.

As we grazed on yummy smoked tuna, lamb chops and marinated chicken breast, I should have been thinking about the resort's new fitness center where I'll be spending my early morning hours tomorrow in penance for my food sins - but instead, I couldn't stop thinking about the cool outdoor setting where we were dining. Because the four-month old Marriott-owned property decided to set up shop right in the heart of Willemstad, there was no "beach" to speak of, so the resort got creative and made one from scratch - complete with a sandy bottom, infinity edge and real saltwater straight from the sea. There are even real fishies in it. And it's all on the second floor.

The resort uses the venue as a guest-exclusive beach by day, but it can be rented for weddings, proposals or special events anytime. Even if you're not totally sold on the man-made beach idea just yet, the Renaissance makes a convincing argument for checking out a private dinner there with their Sweet Temptations - mini indulgences like chocolate mousse and crème brulée to end the night. Sold!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails