Subscriber Services


Please visit our new blog by clicking here.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Best Part of Waking Up...

...is a little Hacienda el Jibarito dark roast in your cup. At least that's what I discovered last week in Puerto Rico. Heading west from my home base in San Juan, I had a chance to settle in for a night at the eco-friendly hacienda tucked quietly in the mountains of San Sebastian - and like any true caffeine addict, I was thrilled to find that the property grows, hand-picks and roasts its own coffee beans.

My first taste of the goods came after dinner while I munched on a few desserts (yes, a few...those of you who follow our blog know that we have a staff full of certified foodies), and the rich café con leche definitely did not disappoint. It was actually one of the better cups of coffee I could remember having in all of my travels, though I first thought maybe that was just the yummy accompanying flan talking. But the next morning, I had the chance to throw on a handsome rubber-glove-and-hair-net ensemble and actually package and sample my own fresh-ground coffee in the Hacienda's on-site Casa Café - and tasting that sweet brew again confirmed my suspicions: theirs is some seriously delicious coffee.

While I'm partial to those yummy little beans, there are other reasons to check out the property too. The expansive, hilltop compound has 19 rooms and private cabins perfect for nature lovers, and in addition to two pools, an on-site restaurant and tiki bar, the Hacienda also has nature trails and private waterfalls just begging to be explored. At just 90 minutes from San Juan or 40 minutes from the surfie mecca of Rincón, it's an easy day trip from anywhere on the island. But with weekday rates starting at just $65 per night double occupancy - including continental breakfast - it's definitely worth an overnight stay as well.

If you ask nicely, they may even let you try on one of these cool hair nets yourself. You know you want to.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails