Subscriber Services


Please visit our new blog by clicking here.

Friday, July 10, 2009

A Three-Hour Tour

I was in St. Kitts a few weeks ago and was told by senior editor Sarah that I simply had to hop aboard the sugar train for a tour of the island. Hop aboard I did, and three scenic hours later, I can safely say that if were I stranded on a Caribbean island (oh, the suffering, the pain), with no money to buy food, I'd hope it was St. Kitts, because I saw enough sugar cane growing wild to satisfy even my sweet tooth for a lifetime. The sugar train (now known as the St. Kitts Scenic Railway) was born in 1912, when, struggling to maintain a niche in a global market, the government decided to build a narrow-gauge railway to bring cane from all around the island to one central factory near Basseterre. Completed in 1926, the train chugged along until 2005, when the government officially shut down the industry on the island. Nowdays, you'll pass through 30 miles of villages, cane fields, scores of children waving hello and all the rum punch and banana daquiris you can slurp down in three hours.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails