Subscriber Services


Please visit our new blog by clicking here.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Oh, Happy J!


I couldn’t let this week go by without commenting on Jamaica being voted the third-happiest country in the world. According to the authors of the Happy Planet Index, which rates 143 countries, the largest English-speaking island in the Caribbean comes second only to Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic in terms of happiness, life expectancy and eco footprint. (The U.S., it should be noted, was 114th.)

It’s certainly great news for a nation that has had its share of economic, political and social challenges but frankly, I’m not surprised. One of the most striking things about Jamaicans is their irrepressible lust for life and unwavering confidence, whether they’re living high on the hog or barely making ends meet. I lived there for about half my life and I’m sure that much of the confidence I enjoy as an adult comes from growing up around people who are proud, loud and never ashamed to make their presence felt. Rich or poor, most Jamaicans have a healthy sense of entitlement combined with an uncanny ability to make something out of nothing, so it stands to reason that the country is being recognized for its “no-problem” attitude.

So how can you get happy? The authors of the index have come up with a lofty manifesto of 10 steps, including eradicating hunger and tackling climate change. Allow me to add an 11th option: Come to Jamaica and feel alright.

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. Having been to Jamaica 23 times, soon to be 24, the reason we keep going back is because of the people!!!! They have such a beautiful Island, if I could stay I would be happy to! :)
    Everythings always IRIE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see the Jamaican people finally getting some well deserved attention. Seem like Jamaica is getting a bad rap lately. I would agree the Jamaican People make all the difference. Keep Smiling Jamaica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    we (my sister and I) met you at Great Huts during your June trip to Jamaica! Nice to come across your blog! Hope to run into you again sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails